Paula practices at Lemon Balm on
- Tuesdays 10-7
- Wednesdays 10-7
- Thursdays 10-2, though other days and times may be available on request.
To book a session call the shop on 020 7267 3334.
I love working with people to help them improve their health and well being, developing a therapeutic relationship, where treatment and herbal prescription is tailored specifically to each individual’s current issues and underlying tendencies. No two treatments are exactly the same, since every person is different.
Herbal medicine can be very effective and I find that when used with knowledge and care herbs work on many levels – physical, psychological, emotional and even spiritual.
Who uses Herbal Medicine?
Herbal Medicine is a holistic and natural style of treatment which considers the health and wellbeing of the whole person, rather than simply addressing symptoms. Treatment is usually in the form of whole plant extracts and teas, which are taken in small quantities and are quite palatable. Factors such as diet and lifestyle are also discussed, and recommendations made where appropriate.
Many people are finding that herbal medicine can help restore their health and wellbeing. Some of the conditions which can be treated are:
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, food intolerances and other chronic and acute problems
- Women’s health including PMS, polycystic ovarian syndrome, fibroids and endometriosis
- Fertility problems
- Management of menopause without artificial hormones
- Candida overgrowth
- Disordered immune function which is often found in post-viral fatigue and ME as well as allergies such as hayfever and asthma.
- Stress, anxiety, sleeplessness and depression
- Cardiovascular problems including hypertension (high blood pressure), elevated cholesterol levels, poor circulation leading to varicose veins and other circulatory disorders.
- Skin disease including acne, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis etc.
- Urinary problems such as recurrent cystitis
- Childhood illness such as glue ear, frequent infections and eczema.
- Acute conditions such as colds and viruses.
- Generalised fatigue often caused by a stressful lifestyle, bringing up young children or simply modern city living.
What happens during the consultation?
The first appointment takes around an hour. During this time Paula will try to build up as complete a picture as possible of your health, taking into account many elements to gain a holistic perspective on the current problem. This covers discussion of the presenting complaint and current symptoms as well as personal and family medical history, diet and lifestyle and a general health check. Tests may be performed as appropriate including blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar (high levels of which can indicate diabetes) and haemoglobin (which if low can indicate anaemia). It is helpful if you can bring details of any prescribed medication, supplements or herbs you may be taking along to the first consultation. At the end of the first appointment, Paula will usually devise a herbal prescription or prescriptions.
A follow up is usually scheduled for two weeks later. This takes half an hour and is an opportunity to see how the herbs are working, whether the condition is improving and to further develop an understanding of your constitution and individual health needs. The prescription may be changed slightly at this point as the body and mind start to respond to the herbs. Frequency of subsequent consultations depend on the condition and are agreed between you and Paula. Typically they might be anything from fortnightly to six-weekly. As well as monitoring progress, specific issues such as diet may be addressed.
‘My partner and I have been consulting Paula for several years and I can honestly say that she has provided solutions to health issues where all other methods we've tried have failed. I have a chronic skin condition that all conventional medical treatments (including very painful lasering) was failing to ameliorate but thanks to Paula, it is now under control, is far less unsightly and gives me no trouble at all. My partner is prone to bronchial conditions that were resisting repeated courses of antibiotics, but is now completely healthy following his last course of herbal medicine. I've also found Paula's prescriptions excellent for easing digestic/gastric problems and her tonic/immune-system boosters are a boon, particularly in winter. Added to that, she's just a joy to consult - thumbs up all round!’ EM